Wighill Manor is a Grade II listed house and was builtin 1791 on the site of the original house which wasbuilt in 1580 by Sir Robert Stapilton. The originalhouse was pulled down because it did not have aballroom and a new Hall was built further in the Park.The avenue of trees led to this Hall, but in the 1950sthe trees were sold and chopped down, leaving onlythose you can see on our land. The coats of armsover the front door are the stapilton coats of arms. The house is built using the same stone as York Minster. The acre of water was called a ‘fish stew’ which was there to provide Carp for the house,
and is mentioned in the history books. The water is artesian fed as is the well in front of the house. The wellstill remains the only natural source of water in the village. Our family has farmed the land since 1906 when JohnWilliam Watson was married andwent to live at Lodge Farm (justacross the fields). He and his familymoved to live at Wighill Manor in
1911 and purchased the farm in 1921 when the Fountayne-Wilson Estate was broken up. The land was subsequently farmed by his youngest son,Oliver Watson and now by Oliver’s Daughter and son-in-law, Margaret andCarl Redfearn with their daughter Melanie and son-in-law Rupert.